The Importance of Vitamin D: What You Need to Know

Vitamin D3 Supplement with Calcium and Magnesium

What is Vitamin D?

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin vital to human health and immunity. Most notably, vitamin D increases the absorption of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium in the intestines, which is critical to physical and mental well-being. 

What is the Relationship Between Vitamin D, Calcium, and Magnesium?

Calcium is the most plentiful mineral in the body and is essential for building strong bones and teeth, but it also helps our blood clot, allows our muscles to contract and relax, and keeps our heart beating. Calcium works alongside phosphorus in forming bones and teeth, but phosphorus further aids in the body's absorption of protein for growth, maintenance, and the repair of cells and tissues. Only 10-15% of dietary calcium and roughly 60% of phosphorus are absorbed without vitamin D. Magnesium is an essential mineral found chiefly in bone but also in muscles, soft tissues, and our blood. It is responsible for hundreds of biochemical reactions, which maintain our overall body and brain health. Magnesium helps convert food into energy, helps create and repair DNA and RNA, and helps regulate neurotransmitters, which are responsible for transmitting messages throughout our brain and nervous system. 

Calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium are three of the most abundant minerals in the human body, and insufficient vitamin D ultimately decreases intestinal absorption of these three critical minerals. However, research indicates that the concerns surrounding vitamin D deficiency exceed the established effects on bone and calcium homeostasis.

Why is Vitamin D Important?

Vitamin D receptors are not solely expressed in skeletal and intestinal tissue. They are additionally present in bone marrow, the brain, the colon, the breast, malignant cells, and immune cells (specifically B cells, T cells, and antigen-presenting cells). Without an adequate amount of vitamin D, we are putting ourselves at extreme risk of a variety of diseases ranging from obesity, diabetes, hypertension, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, osteoporosis, and neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's. Perhaps most importantly, a deficiency in vitamin D also increases our susceptibility to autoimmune diseases and infections. And we've unknowingly been treating infections with vitamin D for centuries.

The History of Vitamin D Treatments

In the 19th century, sanatoriums were created to treat tuberculosis, a bacterial disease mainly affecting the lungs. Popular treatments included outdoor walks, physical exercise, and a balanced diet. However, cod liver oil and sunlight (both exceptional sources of vitamin D) were considered the most effective means of curing the disease. Sunlight, in particular, was thought to “directly kill” tuberculosis when patients were merely reaping the benefits of vitamin D.

Vitamin D is often referred to as the “sunshine vitamin” because when sunlight hits our skin, a chemical reaction occurs where the body produces cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), the liver converts it into calcidiol, and lastly, the kidneys convert it into calcitriol. Generally, we absorb 50-90% of the recommended amount of vitamin D from direct sunlight, with the remaining 10% from food and supplementation. However, absorbing our daily dose of vitamin D through the skin would require 15- 20 minutes, during which 40% of the skin surface is exposed to the sun. This allotment of time increases 3-5x for individuals with darker skin tones. Unsurprisingly, nearly 50% of the world's population is vitamin D deficient due to limited sun exposure, almost 90% below the required amount for immunity support (>1000IUs). These mind-boggling percentages confirm the necessity for vitamin D supplementation.

Foods High in Vitamin D

Popular foods high in vitamin D include fatty fish like salmon and sardines, but cod liver oil, canned tuna, egg yolks, mushrooms, and fortified dairy products are also excellent sources. However, many find vitamin D3 supplements are the fastest and easiest way to ensure we consume our daily allotment of vitamin D, which is critical for our bone health, immune system, and mental well-being.

rxremedies-logo-mobile-1.png
At Rx Remedies, Inc., we believe in doing things right. Though this industry has no regulatory oversight, we hold ourselves to the highest standard. Our goal is to create the most effective, plant-based remedies on the market today.

CONTACT

Shopping Cart
×
Why Choose to Autoship?
  • Save Money
  • Automatically re-order your favorite products on your schedule.
  • Easily change the products or shipping date for your upcoming Scheduled Orders.
  • Pause or cancel any time.